Friday, August 05, 2005

Dirty Hippo spams again

I do not live in America
I do not have a 'cell phone', I have a mobile phone (that's what we call them this side of the pond)
I'm not a teenager
I'm not in the target group for Trick Daddy or Ja Rule ringtones or pictures. Who is Trick Daddy anyway? So why does Dirty Hippo think it should be emailing me to advertise its ringtones and wallpapers?

Not only that, but the email address they're using for me is not only obsolete and has been ripped off a website somewhere, but it is a business address not personal. I have many email accounts and the one they're using for me is not one of them.

I have now had the very same email, sent to the same dodgy email address 4 times in less than 2 weeks. It gets picked up straight away by my spam filter (cos it is) but I fished it out as it keeps catching my eye and I wanted to find out a bit more about what was behind it.

I don't know who harvested my email address but they can't spell...

"We are only concered (sic) with mailing interested users. You have received this message because you signed up and registerred (sic) with us or one of our affiliates. If you wish to be removed from future mailings please click this banner to unsubscribe.

We do not endorse or guarantee any of the goods and/or services advertised herein. You may contact us to be removed from our mailing list by sending a letter to:
Unsubscribe Request
449 S. Federal Highway
Pompano Beach FL 33062"

The email purports to be from "Ringtones [service@galaga2.com]" and on inspection, the domain name seems to be registered to Wes Savage. And on further googling, it appears that domains registered to Wes Savage, including www.galaga2.com seem to be on some spam blacklists. I can't say I'm entirely surprised.

Dirty Hippo (owned by Buongiorno), what are you thinking?! This is not intelligent marketing. You should know better than to stoop to these depths. Or am I just being commercially naive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean please. Spam will be removed. And thank you for taking the trouble to read and comment. I appreciate it.