Wednesday, August 07, 2024

You are what you eat

This phrase, 'You Are What You Eat', keeps coming back to me. I've been thinking about its wider meaning for more than 20 years when mobile and internet advertising started taking off.

The internet tells me that the phrase is thought to have originated in 1826 by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin. He wrote, 'Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are'. A similar phrase appeared around 1863 when Ludwig Andreas von Feuerbach wrote, 'man is what he eats'.

Most read these phrases as relating to the fact that the food one eats affects one's state of mind and health. This is a hot topic right now, and I know from my own experiments with the Zoe way of eating that one of the main changes I see when I stick to the principles is a noticeable improvement in my overall mood. 

For me the phrase goes deeper. I would argue 'man is what he consumes'. By consumes, I mean the people, the words, the images, the inane videos, the links clicked, the posters read, the media presented to you by algorithms, as well as the media you actively choose. It's also the people you surround yourself with and the things you choose to do with your time. It's your education - both what you received at school and self-education. The drama that does or doesn't surround you will also have an impact - sometimes you can't help consuming or absorbing what happens around you.

One could also argue 'garbage in, garbage out'.

So, in light of the riots in the UK, fuelled by misinformation and fear, let's take a moment to consider that we are what we consume and to watch what else we consume, by choice or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean please. Spam will be removed. And thank you for taking the trouble to read and comment. I appreciate it.