Monday, January 29, 2007

[off topic] RIP Mimi

As some of you probably know, I'm a bit of a luvvie at heart and this emanated from a) living very close to a theatre (the Swan Theatre in Worcester) and b) living next door to a theatrical boarding house in Britannia Square where all the actors stayed when they were in Rep at Worcester Swan Theatre (oh and for historical accuracy, it was also where Edward Elgar went to school).

I've just heard today that the landlady of said boarding house, Mimi Hewitt, died peacefully earlier this month. Much loved by the likes of Michael Palin and Derek Nimmo who both stayed with her, she will be much missed by her very large extended family and many friends and also the many actors who stayed with her - Chris Corcoran, Gary Sharkey, Bill Gaminara, Deborah Makepeace and many many more. She even gets a mention on Just a Minute on Radio 4.

I spent half my childhood in her house and not only did I get to hang out with loads of actors, she also taught me French from the age of six which is why I have a great French accent (I've forgotten a lot of the vocabulary though but I sound good!), and I had my first date in her house with a very handsome young Parisien. Where are you now Laurent Roussel-Bert?! So thank you Mimi, I'll remember you always.

I've unfortunately missed Mimi's funeral which was on Friday but I know that some of my readers are friends of mine from Worcester days and would want to know. RIP Mimi.

HEWITT
Mireille (Mimi) Regine Primrose
Aged 88 years. Peacefully on Friday, January 12th, at Worcestershire Royal Hospital. Beloved mother to Feriel, Theresa, Jenni and Anne, much loved grandmother to fourteen and special great grandmother to twenty three. She will always be remembered. The funeral service for Mimi will be held at St. Georges Roman Catholic Church, Sansome Place, Worcester, at 12 noon on Friday, January 26th. Flowers or a donation to The Worcestershire Royal Hospital, Coronary Care Unit Trust Fund, may be sent to A V Band, 41 St Nicholas Street, Worcester. WR1 1UW.